Thursday, April 7, 2011

UnLocking My Jewelry Box

So...here it is.  My FIRST BLOG EVER in my BEST YEAR EVER.  I decided to make one so I'd have a place to record my first 100 days as a WAHM...a work at home mommy.

The title of my first blog post is "unlocking my jewelry box".  Let me explain...So, I have this beautiful brown wooden jewelry box that I inherited.  It has been sitting in my closet on the top shelf in a corner.  I've left it unopened and unexplored, "Locked" you might say, for several years now.  For a long while it held on to the past...sentimental, tender, sweet...memories mostly, it held...someone else's experiences kept well.  Well, I recently "unlocked" that box.  I read the letters, looked at the photos and touched the pieces of jewelry.  These were letters written by another.  Photos taken by or of another.  Pieces of jewelry worn by another.  They belonged to my mother.

Unlocking the box and the past were gentle reminders of another time, place, life and person.  They are good reminders.  However, I realized that it was time to take that box and add to it, fill it and keep it open.

Now that I've unlocked my jewelry box, it can and will serve another purpose.  This time, it will be a place to hold new memories, new photos, new jewelry.  Memories I am making with my own children, photos I am taking or I am in with my family and friends, jewelry I am wearing and sharing.

This jewelry box will hold MY hopes and dreams, both realized and not yet realized.  I will open it often.  I will add to it.  I will share it.  I will fill it.  I will treasure it.  It will represent the present and the future more,  and the past less.

Ten days ago, I became an independent sales rep for Silpada Designs.  Why?  Because I love my children and don't want to miss out on their milestones.  I want to be home with them and out and about in our great city with them.  Because I love all things silver; I've never been that into gold (unless it is white gold...because, well, then it looks like silver!)  Because I love traveling (you see, being a rep for this company provides travel rewards that I can't wait to earn).  Because I also love meeting new people, rubbing shoulders with talented and interesting and fun personalities with positive energy.  Because I want to have the means to provide great experiences and future memories for the little people and the big people in my life!

One week ago, I had my launch party.  It was so symbolic of my present and my future.  I was surrounded by the people in my life who have shared their energy, experiences, friendship, love and faith in and with me.  We celebrated my 35th birthday in style.  We played dress up with the sterling silver pieces I now love.  We talked, visited, enjoyed delicious food and drink in a great atmosphere.  A friend of one of my friend's who came to the party shared with me a story that really inspired me.  She told me of a cousin who started her jewelry business with Silpada four years ago and just recently put down 40% on the mortgage of their new home.  It was inspiring because I do hope for a future in which my children have a family home to call their own because we WILL own and not borrow (a.k.a. rent) a home in some future day.

Today, I am wearing fabulous jewelry, some of which I've purchased and many more I've already earned (as a hostess and now as a rep).  I have recuperated 1/4 of the investment I made to start my business just 10 days after signing up.  I have a couple of new friends I just met last week.  I have 5 parties scheduled.  I still have my mommy time carved out with my family!  Who could ask for anything more?!?!    

Check out my new Silpada website www.mysilpada.com/jeneanne.lock and/or send me an email jlockjewelrybox@yahoo.com

I'd be more than happy to help you unlock your jewelry box, too!

2 comments:

  1. This is great Jeneanne. I am glad you have your mother's things. I only met her in person once I think & was so impressed by her. She was a genuine person, like you.
    It is exciting to keep adding to your jewlery box & great that you have a business you love. I looked at their site & it is very nice.
    I'll enjoy checking out your blog from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, Thank you so much for reading it and liking it and commenting on it and being my first follower (still don't know exactly what that means but I like it). Thank you for your kind compliments. And since I know I have a good audience, I'll feel a little safer wearing my heart on my sleeve in future posts. I think you did only meet her once and I'm pretty sure she was equally impressed with you. You are so right. She was genuine and as I grow up I recognize and appreciate that more and more. I hope to measure up to her one day.

    ReplyDelete